Monday, May 7, 2012

The Up-and-Coming Kenyan Art World

Saturday was a bit of a wild goose chase with my co-worker Mark Rorich, in search of an amazing art Gallery in the area of Nairobi where people live in rolling hills filled with all sorts of trees, away from the maddening traffic and in the calm serenity of Nature.  The Gallery is called One Off - Contemporary Art Gallery Ltd. and the building look something like this...
 The Main Gallery Building

What is better than 150,000 Kenyan Shillings worth of a piece of art in your Stables!?

A petrified Lizard that was not part of the showing


Now this is the piece of art that spoke to me immediately!!   It is by Peterson Kamwathi.  He is absolutely an up-and-coming artist and a Kenyan Native on top of that! A collection of his work was just purchased by the British Museum and he was just published by the Gothe Institut - Kenya. Have a look at this article, speaking to the growing popularity of Kenyan Artist Kenyan Artwork Growing in International Popularity

This is the piece that I purchased of his, left Untitled was noted as Untitled with Copper Bars on the receipt.

Kamwathi was quote on the Creative African Network website to say:
"....I view myself as a part of my society and as such I’m accountable to the society. Being an artist this society extends beyond my immediate environment to include the world. In my work I strive to address and document issues that affect and impact my country, my continent and now the planet as illustrated by the this current series”.
The piece I bought is unconfirmed to be one of the men involved in political corruption that help lead the Kenyan people to the 2008 post-election violence.  Carol, the Gallery Owner, said that Kamwathi would neither admit nor deny this mans identity.   



To be sure I represent the Women artists here in Kenya here were my other favorites and way out of my price range!!
Still untitled by Beatice Wanijiku
 This next piece is actually from my Co-worker, Emily Odongo.  Her art is so vibrant and colorful.  I appreciate her vibrant hues, as that is something that I struggle with, thinking i should be knocking all my colors down to be less brilliant.  She has inspired me and also has invited me to join her and her artist friends at their next exhibit!  Plus she is going to help me out to get canvases.  She is so awesome!
Orange by Emily Odongo

 

3 comments:

  1. Emily's "Orange" piece would go perfect in my house! Does she ship?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure she does! I will ask her today at work!!

      Delete
  2. the lizard on the sill! wow!! thats crazy! and all of the art is amazing!

    ReplyDelete